Just for Fun…On Being Motivated by Cassiel Knight
One of my fun things is to find quotes: motivational, inspirational or just plain interesting. In my home and around my desk, I have posted some of my favorites. For a promotional website, I did some research and found some specific to promotion and marketing that I feel speak directly to what we need to do as authors to keep ourselves in the mind’s of our readers.
I found a wide-range of quotes and while many of them were specific to product advertising and marketing, I found some I thought fit quite well for our “product”—our books.
- Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.—Mark Twain
- Make it simple. Make it memorable. Make it inviting to look at. Make it fun to read.—Leo Burnett (Pioneer American advertising executive)
- Without promotion something terrible happens…Nothing!—P.T. Barnum
- Putting out a newspaper without promotion is like winking at a girl in the dark—well-intentioned, but ineffective.—William Randolph Hearst (American publisher, editor and politician)
- Do not wait; the time will never be “just right”. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along.—Napoleon Hill
- It is all about marketing; that is where the real craft comes in. The best actors do not necessarily become the biggest stars. And vice versa.—Dirk Benedict, Actor
- The final key to the way I promote is bravado. I play to people’s fantasies. People may not always think big themselves, but they can still get very excited by those who do. That’s why a little hyperbole never hurts.—Donald Trump
- Advertising says to people, “Here’s what we’ve got. Here’s what it will do for you. Here’s how to get it.—Leo Burnett (Pioneer American advertising executive)
- Good advertising does not just circulate information. It penetrates the public mind with desires and belief.—Leo Burnett
- Doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing, but nobody else does.—Steuart Henderson Britt (a fun twist on the earlier quote)
If you haven’t had enough of quotes (and I never do), here are some more inspirational ones on writing in general:
- A critic can only review the book he has read, not the one which the writer wrote.—Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic’s Notebook, 1960
- Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand.—George Orwell, “Why I Write,” 1947
- Substitute “damn” every time you’re inclined to write “very;” your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.—Mark Twain
- I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions.—James Michener
And because I love collecting them, how about you? Got any great ones to share?
Oh, and because I just couldn’t find any perfect pictures for this article but gave up and thought, what the heck, I’m just going to share something of mine. So, take a look at this. This is the cover for my new series releasing in October from Champagne Book Group. It’s a story with Egyptian mythology, archeology, a sexy tomb raider and a delicious English hero who is more than he appears. I just love this cover. I love all my covers but this one really captures my story. Sorry, no hunk. <grin>